Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: CUDA register sm and openib host memory
From: Rolf vandeVaart (rvandevaart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-28 17:52:14

WHAT: Add CUDA registration of host memory in sm and openib BTLs.

TIMEOUT: 8/4/2011

DETAILS: In order to improve performance of sending GPU device memory,
we need to register the host memory with the CUDA framework. These
changes allow that to happen. These changes are somewhat different
from what I proposed a while ago and I think a lot cleaner. There is
a new memory pool flag that indicates whether a piece of memory
should be registered. This allows us to register the sm memory and
the pre-posted openib memory.

The CUDA specific code is in the ompi/mca/common/cuda directory.

Do not look at the configure.m4 code, as that is still not done.

Here a link to the proposed changes:
https://bitbucket.org/rolfv/ompi-cuda-register

Here is a list of files that would change.
M VERSION
M configure.ac
M ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c
M ompi/mca/btl/openib/Makefile.am
M ompi/mca/mpool/sm/Makefile.am
M ompi/mca/mpool/sm/mpool_sm_module.c
M ompi/mca/mpool/mpool.h
M ompi/mca/pml/ob1/pml_ob1_sendreq.h
A ompi/mca/common/cuda
A ompi/mca/common/cuda/configure.m4
A ompi/mca/common/cuda/common_cuda.c
A ompi/mca/common/cuda/help-mpi-common-cuda.txt
A ompi/mca/common/cuda/Makefile.am
A ompi/mca/common/cuda/common_cuda.h
M ompi/class/ompi_free_list.c

confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by