Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Libevent visibility problem
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-12 14:29:16

On 7/11/11 4:31 PM, "Ralph Castain" <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>On Jul 11, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> When libevent was made its own component last fall, it appears that the
>> function renames and visibility settings were lost. This is proving
>> rather problematic for a project I'm trying to get running with the
>>trunk
>> which uses libev (which provides a libevent compatibility layer). It
>> works fine with Open MPI 1.4 and 1.5, which rename the libevent
>>functions
>> in rename.h, but causes symbol clashes for the trunk. This seems like a
>> rather glaring oversight, especially since there was a bunch of work
>>done
>> to remove the visibility flags from the libevent component.
>>
>> At one point, someone was running a symbol checker to make sure things
>> like this didn't happen; has that been killed off?
>>
>> Can whomever is responsible for the new libevent please fix this?
>
>I guess that would mostly be me - my penalty for doing the update. Can
>you tell me which symbols are clashing? We honestly thought we had that
>all worked out, but I don't know of any tool for checking it other than
>the basic ones.

It actually looks like all the event symbols are public in the trunk
(1.4/1.5 are fine). Most of the symbols will have to be public, but were
renamed (from event_add to opal_event_add, for example) in the previous
releases. That seems to be the missing piece.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett
  Dept. 1423: Scalable System Software