Subject: [OMPI devel] Question about hanging mpirun
From: Colon, Joseanibal (joseanibal.colon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-01 12:42:10

My mpi application is hanging forever when called with mpirun -np >1 (that is 2 or more... not actually typing the '>').

So I built openmpi 1.4.3 with default options except I used -prefix=/usr/local/openmpi. I compiled an application against it but I need to run this application elsewhere. So brought in my entire installation directory /usr/local/openmpi to this new machine along with my binary to test it. Ran the following command... (If i did't use the -mca options it would print out messages about missing OpenFrabric):
/usr/local/openmpi/bin/mpirun --mca btl tcp,self -np 2 ./my_application

This actually works for -np 1. But requesting another process makes the call hang forever. 'strace' of the above call shows an never ending calls to "poll" resulting in (timeout) every time.
Executing /usr/local/openmpi/bin/ompi_info still shows the configure and build host as the machine I built on, but I don't know if this may cause a problem. I also see "Thread support: posix (mpi: no, progress: no)"

Unfortunately I need to do it this way.. I cannot build openmpi on the target machine, so I need to make it portable. This other machine should be the same architecture and OS and everything.

I should have solved this yesterday, please help, and thanks!

-Joseanibal