Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] new btl
From: Tim Mattox (timattox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-14 11:32:35

Hi Larry,
Good timing... Jeff Squyres just posted yesterday about this topic.
You can find his suggestions here:
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2011/06/9366.php
-- Tim

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Lawrence Stewart
<lstewart2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I apologize for asking elementary questions, I have spent some time looking through the open-mpi.org site and the list archives, without notable success.
>
> I am contemplating writing a btl component in order to make OpenMPI work on the fos experimental message-based operating system under construction at csail.  The network semantics provided are reliable, in-order messages to process mailboxes, which may be shared.  This <ought> to be  straightforward, but
>
> * A search around open-mpi.org did not uncover a "how to write a BTL component" document.  Is there one?
>
> * A quick survey through .../ompi/mca/btl did not uncover an obvious "example".  Is there one? Or which existing component is the simplest non-rdma one?  It might be that elan is the simplest,
> based on source lines, but it is a little tricky to untangle the elan-parts from the open-mpi parts.
>

> The other thing I'll have to tackle is figuring out whether fos has enough of the os interfaces needed by the rest of open-mpi, and how to get the job launch machinery working.
>
> -Larry

Tim Mattox, Ph.D. - http://homepage.mac.com/tmattox/
 timattox_at_[hidden] || tmattox_at_[hidden]
    I'm a bright... http://www.the-brights.net/