Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Open-MPI on TIPC
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-13 08:31:00

Probably the best docs to check would be what were referred to in that thread, and http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/ppam-2005/ for an overview.

Read through ompi/mca/pml/pml.h. It's the interface for the MPI "engine" behind OMPI's point-to-point functions, like MPI_SEND and MPI_RECV and friends. The PML uses BTLs to perform all the transport-level operations (E.g., over a specific type of network and/or protocol). BTLs are dumb byte-pushers; they have no concept of MPI semantics -- all the MPI semantics are handled in the upper-level PML. BTLs are also not allowed to block; the PML will poll them when necessary. Look though ompi/mca/btl/btl.h for a description of the BTL interface that BTLs are expected to export.

Also have a look at the following wiki pages:

https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/NewDeveloper
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/UsingMercurial (same principles apply to git or any other DVCS)
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/devel/Autogen
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/devel/CreateComponent
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/BTLSemantics

On Jun 13, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Xin He I wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started working on adding a BTL module of TIPC (Transparent Inter-process Communication) for Open-mpi.
>
> My coworker post this topic a year ago : http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2010/05/7914.php
>
> I read the thread. I am wondering if someone could provide the documents mentioned. A few unofficial documents or explanation
> of how to add a BTL module will be of great help to me :)
>
> Regards,
> Xin

For corporate legal information go to: