Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.4.4 .so version numbers
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-29 16:09:23

On 4/29/2011 12:56 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> lib_mpif90.so had changes for the upcoming 1.4.4 release that requires a .so version bump. Specifically, some MPI F90 bindings used to have some parameters of type INTEGER. In 1.4.4, those parameter types were corrected to be INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND).

You are thinking of the so-versions problem as if the change above is an
ABI change. However, one could claim at a stretch that the entire 1.3.x
and 1.4.x series implements the ABI present in the
specification/documentation and in 1.4.4; and thus that the older
versions contain a BUGGY implementation of the always-intended
INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND) ABI for the "large" F90 bindings.

Under that reasoning I would endorse:

> 2. Go with 0:2:0.
>
> CONSEQUENCE: This is somewhat of a lie; we're saying we haven't modified the interface. But we did.
>
> IMPACT: Same as above. A binary using the old/wrong interfaces (e.g., compiled against 1.4.3) could still run-time link against OMPI 1.4.4 and possibly segv because the parameters are different sizes.

I am unclear on how a binary linked to <=1.4.3 that was truncating the
arguments would have worked in the first place.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group