Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: mpirun command line arugments
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-21 20:21:02

On 4/21/2011 4:41 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>> Additionally implement --help=[topic] to give more info on related groups of options.
> I think that fits in my "extra bonus points" proposal. Meaning: I agree that it would be great, but I, sadly, do not have time to do it.

I saw the "extra bonus points" proposal for svn-style "mpirun help
command", and I interpreted it to be slightly different from what I had
in mind. What I indented by my suggestion was regrouping the existing
200+ line alphabetical-by-option-name output into from 5 to 10 topic
sections - relatively minor "editorial" work (not that I am
volunteering) when compared to writing new documentation.

>> P.S. arguments is misspelled in the subject line:-)
> I would aruge that you are just outta touch with how all the kids are typing on their iphones these days.
>
> :-P

Well, then does the --help output need to fit a smart phone screen
instead of the 24x80 classic vt100?

Oh, one more related thing. At least in 1.4.2 the --help output goes to
stderr rather than stdout. The gnu utilities all send their --help
output to stdout. This may seem like a extremely minor point to the
folks on this list, but you would be surprised how many end-users don't
know how to redirect stderr to a pipe (that is to say "mpirun --help |
less" doesn't do what the user wants). Perhaps that is already fixed in
1.5.x?

-Paul

Future Technologies Group