Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Add support to send/receive CUDA device memory directly
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-14 11:25:51

On Apr 13, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Rolf vandeVaart wrote:

> By default, the code is disable and has to be configured into the library.
> --with-cuda(=DIR) Build cuda support, optionally adding DIR/include,
> DIR/lib, and DIR/lib64
> --with-cuda-libdir=DIR Search for cuda libraries in DIR

My $0.02: cuda shouldn't be disabled by default (and only enabled if you --with-cuda). If configure finds all the Right cuda magic, then cuda support should be enabled by default. Just like all other optional support libraries that OMPI uses.

More specifically: the cuda support code in OMPI should strive to be such that it can be enabled by default and not cause any performance penalties to codes that do not need/use any cuda stuff. I'm not saying I know how to do that -- I'm just saying that that should be the goal. :-)

For corporate legal information go to: