Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Build mca_sysinfo_linux module when /proc/cpuinfo doesn't exist
From: Silas Silva (silasdb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-24 22:00:49

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 06:52:23PM -0700, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> Silas,
> FYI: openmpi-1.4.1 is in the package repo for NetBSD 5.1. So, you
> might not need to build from scratch at all, depending on your
> desired use.

I'm actually not building it from scratch :-) I'm using the pkgsrc
package manager ( that is source based and create binary
packages in the local computer. The problem is that the contents of the
package differs in the case when /proc is mounted...

> Jeff,
> When available (remember that unlike Linux /proc might not be
> mounted by default) the /proc/cpuinfo and /proc/meminfo on NetBSD
> 5.1 are (nearly?) identical to the Linux ones. See below for an
> example.
> To "prefetch" the next logical question:
> On a FreeBSD 8.1 system I find that /proc exists but does not
> contain cpuinfo or meminfo
> On a OpenBSD 4.8 system I find that there is no /proc

I was just pasting NetBSD's /proc/{cpuinfo,meminfo}. Thanks for doing
that :-) But yeah, other systems might not have this. I know working on
portability can be painful. That is why most projects support GNU/Linux
only and let other systems developers port their application. Anyway,
can /proc be unmounted in GNU/Linux somehow?

Thank you very much.

Silas Silva