Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] turning on progress threads
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-10 21:07:58

On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:54 PM, Eugene Loh wrote:

> Ralph Castain wrote:
>
>> Just stale code that doesn't hurt anything
>>
> Okay, so it'd be all right to remove those lines. Right?

They are in my platform files - why are they a concern?

Just asking - we don't normally worry about people's platform files. I would rather not have to go thru everyone's files and review what they have there.

>> - frankly, I wouldn't look at platform files to try to get a handle on such things as they tend to fall out of date unless someone needs to change it.
>>
>> We always hard-code progress threads to off because the code isn't thread safe in key areas involving the event library, for one.
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Eugene Loh wrote:
>>
>>> In the trunk, we hardwire progress threads to be off. E.g.,
>>>
>>> % grep progress configure.ac
>>> # Hardwire all progress threads to be off
>>> enable_progress_threads="no"
>>> [Hardcode the ORTE progress thread to be off])
>>> [Hardcode the OMPI progress thread to be off])
>>>
>>> So, how do I understand the following?
>>>
>>> % grep enable_progress contrib/platform/*/*.conf
>>> contrib/platform/cisco/linux-static.conf:orte_enable_progress_threads = 1
>>> contrib/platform/cisco/macosx-dynamic.conf:orte_enable_progress_threads = 1
>>> contrib/platform/openrcm/debug.conf:orte_enable_progress_threads = 1
>>> % grep enable_progress contrib/platform/*/*/*.conf
>>> contrib/platform/cisco/ebuild/hlfr.conf:orte_enable_progress_threads = 1
>>> contrib/platform/cisco/ebuild/ludd.conf:orte_enable_progress_threads = 1