Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Development mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] dummy component warnings
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-25 17:48:05


Ok, then there are two possible simple fixes:
  - Strip -std from CCASFLAGS if Apple's gcc 4.0 is encountered, or
  - Always strip -std from CCASFLAGS. The flag shouln't have any effect when compiling assembly.

-Nathan
HPC-3, LANL

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:

> I can confirm that the problem appears specific to Apple's compiler.
>
> Since the failure was reported to be configure-time, that took less time to check up on that I'd expected.
> What I find is that gcc-4.0.0 on Linux/x86 *does* fail the "#_gsym_test_func" test, but for the RIGHT reason, and then goes on to
> pass the next test case with the proper form of global symbol.  The relevent portion of config.log appears below.
>
> -Paul
>
> configure:27399: checking prefix for global symbol labels
> configure: trying _
> configure:27439: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -c conftest.s >conftest.out 2>&1
> configure:27442: $? = 0
> configure:27447: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -I. conftest_c.c -c > conftest.cmpl 2>&1
> configure:27450: $? = 0
> configure:27455: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing conftest_c.o conftest.o -o conftest    >
> conftest.link 2>&1
> configure:27458: $? = 1
> conftest_c.o: In function `main':
> conftest_c.o(.text+0xd): undefined reference to `gsym_test_func'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed C program was:
> #ifdef __cplusplus
> extern "C" {
> #endif
> void gsym_test_func(void);
> #ifdef __cplusplus
> }
> #endif
> int
> main()
> {
>     gsym_test_func();
>     return 0;
> }
> configure: failed ASM program was:
>
> .text
> # _gsym_test_func
> .globl _gsym_test_func
> _gsym_test_func:
> # _gsym_test_func
>
> configure: trying
> configure:27439: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -c conftest.s >conftest.out 2>&1
> configure:27442: $? = 0
> configure:27447: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -I. conftest_c.c -c > conftest.cmpl 2>&1
> configure:27450: $? = 0
> configure:27455: gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing conftest_c.o conftest.o -o conftest    >
> conftest.link 2>&1
> configure:27458: $? = 0
> configure:27496: result:
>
>
>
>
> On 1/25/2011 2:19 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> I have gcc-4.0.0 on Linux built from unmodified FSF sources.
> I will try to reproduce.
>
> -Paul
>
> On 1/25/2011 1:47 PM, Nathan Hjelm wrote:
> Looks like a bug in Apple's gcc 4.0. I tried the source with gcc 3.4.6 and gcc 4.1.2 on Linux and did not
> see that error.
>
> I will take a look and see if there is a simple fix to get around this apparent compiler bug.
>
> -Nathan
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
> Short version
> =============
>
> MTT turned up a problem with -std=gnu99 on OS X Leopard, which ships with the gcc 4.0
> compiler (OS X Snow Leopard ships with gcc 4.2, and doesn't have a problem).  Does anyone
> have gcc 4.0 on Linux?  I'm wondering if the same problem would occur.
>
> More details:
> =============
>
> From our friends at Absoft:
>
>
> -----
> The -std=gnu99 is causing the problem when used with gcc-4.0 ( the default on Leopard with
> Apple's XCode 3.1 development tools ):
>
> BigMac:ompi cag$ gcc --version -std=gnu99 -c conftest.s
> conftest.s:2:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #_gsym_test_func
> conftest.s:5:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #_gsym_test_func
> BigMac:ompi cag$ gcc-4.0 -std=gnu99 -c conftest.s
> conftest.s:2:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #_gsym_test_func
> conftest.s:5:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #_gsym_test_func
> BigMac:ompi cag$ gcc-4.2 -std=gnu99 -c conftest.s
> BigMac:ompi cag$
>
> On Snow Leopard with Apple's XCode 3.2 development tools, the default compiler is 4.2.
> -----
>
> The compile line he's talking about in particular is from a configure test in
> opal/config/opal_config_asm.m4, where we're looking for assembly global symbols.  The source
> that we're trying to compile is:
>
> -----
> .text
> # _gsym_test_func
> .globl _gsym_test_func
> _gsym_test_func:
> # _gsym_test_func
> -----
>
> (configure tries a few prefixes)
>
> But the "#" token with the -std=gnu99 option is causing failures where it shouldn't (i.e., it
> causes configure to abort because all the assembly tests looking for the global symbols error
> out due to the # token.
>
> So I think we either need to find a workaround for this assembly test or whack the idea of
> the C99 stuff.  :-(
>
>
>
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Nathan Hjelm wrote:
>
> No, they didn't get added (adding them now). I didn't get a chance to add them
> over the weekend.
>
> -Nathan
>
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
> I'm getting these:
>
> CC     dummy_component.lo
> dummy_component.c:25: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:28: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:29: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:30: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:31: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:33: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:34: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:35: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:37: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c:39: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject
> to initialize
> dummy_component.c: In function ¡component_open¢:
> dummy_component.c:45: warning: unused variable ¡c¢
> dummy.c:67: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject to
> initialize
> dummy.c:68: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject to
> initialize
> dummy.c:69: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject to
> initialize
> dummy.c:70: warning: ISO C90 forbids specifying subobject to
> initialize
> CCLD   mca_debugger_dummy.la
>
> Did the autoconf tests not get added?
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> For corporate legal information go to:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]
> For corporate legal information go to:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
> --
> Paul H. Hargrove PHHargrove_at_[hidden]
> Future Technologies Group
> HPC Research Department Tel: +1-510-495-2352
> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Fax: +1-510-486-6900
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
> --
> Paul H. Hargrove PHHargrove_at_[hidden]
> Future Technologies Group
> HPC Research Department Tel: +1-510-495-2352
> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Fax: +1-510-486-6900
>
>