Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] MPI_File_get_size fails for files > 2 GB in Fortran
From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-20 17:06:31

well, to contradict my own position from previously, this function was
part of the MPI-2 specification, and the only interfaces published for
this function were C, C++ and F90. Not sure what this means for f90
applications however.

Thanks
Edgar

On 12/20/2010 3:59 PM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> On Dec 20 2010, George Bosilca wrote:
>
>> There is a hint for F77 users at the bottom of the page. It suggests
>> to use INTEGER*MPI_OFFSET_KIND as type for the SIZE. I guess if we
>> cast it correctly, and the users follow the MPI specification, this
>> should work.
>
> Please tell me you are joking?
>
> No, that will NOT work, in general. Firstly, the xxx in INTEGER*xxx was
> introduced in Fortran IV as a digit string and not a constant, and all
> of the compilers I know of still do that. Secondly, it is NOT always
> aligned with the KIND values, and there is no implication in any document
> I know of that it should be.
>
> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Edgar Gabriel
Assistant Professor
Parallel Software Technologies Lab      http://pstl.cs.uh.edu
Department of Computer Science          University of Houston
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Houston, TX-77204, USA
Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335