Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.5.x plans
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-26 17:52:19

On Oct 26, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> There seem to be 3 obvious options about moving forward (all assume that we do 1.5.1 as described above):
>
> A. End the 1.5 line (i.e., work towards transitioning it to 1.6), and then re-branch the trunk to be v1.7.
> B. Sync the trunk to the 1.5 branch en masse. Stabilize that and call it 1.5.2.
> C. Do the same thing as A, but wait at least 6 months (i.e., give the 1.5 series time to mature).
>
> Most people (including me) favored B. Rich was a little concerned that B spent too much time on maintenance/logistics when we could just be moving forward, and therefore favored either A or C.
>
> Any opinions from people who weren't there on the call today?

I'd vote for !B.. It goes against the whole branch and stabilize approach. The fact that we've been bad about pushing changes to v1.5 is no reason to whole-sale throw out our release philosophy. Plus, I know there's stuff in the trunk that shouldn't be in 1.5 (like my recent portals work that's nowhere near ready for prime time).

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett
  Dept. 1423: Scalable System Software