Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Threading
From: Kenneth Lloyd (kenneth.lloyd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-12 10:51:29

In certain hybrid, heterogeneous HPC configurations, mpirun often cannot or
should not be threaded through the OS under which OpenMPI runs. The primary
OS and MPI can configure management nodes and topologies (even other MPI
layers) that subsequently spawn various OSes and other lightweight kernels.
These share memory spaces and indirectly access the program stacks in
various devices.

In short, yes, there are environments where this would cause a problem.

Kenneth A. Lloyd
Watt Systems Technologies Inc.