Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Setting AUTOMAKE_JOBS
From: Ralf Wildenhues (Ralf.Wildenhues_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-22 16:51:36

Hi Jeff,

adding bug-automake in Cc: (non-subscribers can't post to the Open MPI
list, so please remove that Cc: in case)

* Jeff Squyres wrote on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:50:19PM CEST:
> $AUTOMAKE_JOBS Total wall time
> value of autogen.pl
> 8 3:01.46
> 4 2:55.57
> 2 3:28.09
> 1 4:38.44
>
> This is an older Xeon machine with 2 sockets, each with 2 cores.

Thanks for the measurements! I'm a bit surprised that the speedup is
not higher. Do you have timings as to how much of the autogen.pl time
is spent inside automake?

IIRC the pure automake part for OpenMPI would speed up better on bigger
systems, my old numbers from two years ago are here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2008-10/msg00055.html

Cheers,
Ralf