Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] NP64 _gather_ problem
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-17 13:13:28

Right, by default all connections will be handled on the fly. So as an
MPI_Send is executed to a process that there is not a connection to then
a dance happens between the sender and the receiver. So why this
happens with np > 60 may have to do with how many connections are
happening at the same time or if the destination of one connection
request is not in the MPI library.

It would be interesting to figure out when in the timeline of the job
that such requests are are being delayed. You can get such a timeline
by using a tool like Solaris Studio collector/analyzer (which actually
has a Linux version).

--td

Steve Wise wrote:
> Yes it does. With mpi_preconnect_mpi to 1, NP64 doesn't stall. So
> its not the algorithm in and of itself, but rather some interplay
> between the algorithm and connection setup I guess.
>

> On 9/17/2010 5:24 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:
>> Does setting mca parameter mpi_preconnect_mpi to 1 help at all. This
>> might be able to help determine if it is the actually connection set
>> up between processes that are out of sync as oppose to something in
>> the actual gather algorithm.
>>
>> --td
>>
>> Steve Wise wrote:
>>> Here's a clue: ompi_coll_tuned_gather_intra_dec_fixed() changes its
>>> algorithm for job sizes > 60 to some binomial method. I changed the
>>> threshold to 100 and my NP64 jobs run fine. Now to try and
>>> understand what about ompi_coll_tuned_gather_intra_binomial() is
>>> causing these connect delays...

>> --
>> Oracle
>> Terry D. Dontje | Principal Software Engineer
>> Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
>> Oracle * - Performance Technologies*
>> 95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
>> Email terry.dontje_at_[hidden] <mailto:terry.dontje_at_[hidden]>

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle * - Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture
picture