Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] make install (libtool) failure on Solaris 10 (1.5rc5 and 1.4.3rc1)
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-26 14:35:59

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 07:29:17AM CEST:
>
>> * Paul H. Hargrove wrote on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 05:37:23AM CEST:
>>
>>> libtool: install: (cd /usr/local/pkg/ompi-1.5rc5/lib && { ln -s -f
>>> libmpi.so.0.0.2 libmpi.so.0 || { rm -f libmpi.so.0 && ln -s
>>> libmpi.so.0.0.2 libmpi.so.0; }; })
>>> Usage: ln [-f] [-s] f1
>>>
> [...]
>

>>> This is due to an incomprehensibly stupid "ln" that cares about the
>>> order of the "-s" and "-f" options:
>>>
>>> $ rm -f b; touch a; ln -f -s a b
>>> $ rm -f b; touch a; ln -s -f a b
>>> Usage: ln [-f] [-s] f1
>>> ln [-f] [-s] f1 f2
>>> ln [-f] [-s] f1 ... fn d1
>>>
>>> $ which ln
>>> /usr/ucb/ln
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> SunOS lem.lbl.gov 5.10 s10_69 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>>>
>> I'll fix that option order in libtool, but I don't see how it could have
>> caused a failed install for you, because we explicitly do
>> ln -s -f A B || { rm -f B && ln -s A B; }
>>
>> Please also note that this ln does not do the right thing with -f -s
>> when the target file already exists:
>>

> Hmm, reordering would be ugly because of the $LN_S abstraction. Upon
> reconsideration, I don't think it is that important to try to avoid some
> inconsequential error message stemming from a setup which the default
> GNU INSTALL file already advises not to use:
>
> [...]
> On Solaris, don't put `/usr/ucb' early in your `PATH'. This
> directory contains several dysfunctional programs; working variants of
> these programs are available in `/usr/bin'. So, if you need `/usr/ucb'
> in your `PATH', put it _after_ `/usr/bin'.
> [...]
>
> Not sure if OpenMPI copies this text somewhere, but if it doesn't, maybe
> it should?
>
> You didn't confirm whether your installation actually failed though.
> Did it succeed?

I will take the advice about moving /usr/ucb to the end of my PATH -
thanks for that.

I am having other issues on this platform that leave me uncertain about
whether the install was successful or not. The "make install" did run
to completion, but despite adding $prefix/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I
don't seem to have a working build. Keep in mind, however, that this is
the same platform for which I just sent the "../libtool --config" output
due to "make check" failing to locate libmpi.so.0. So, I think I should
wait for that to be resolved first.

Now that I think of it, I had best retry from scratch with /usr/ucb at
the end of my PATH to see if that other problem goes away.

-Paul

> Thanks,
> Ralf

Future Technologies Group