Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Trunk Commit Heads-up: New Common Shared Memory Component
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-12 12:13:08

Graham, Richard L. wrote:
> Stupid question:
> What is being plotted, and what are the units ?
>
> Rich

MB of Resident and Shared memory as gotten from top (on linux). The
values for each of the processes run cases seem to be the same between
posix, mmap and sysv.

--td

> [...]
>
> --
> Samuel K. Gutierrez
> Los Alamos National Laboratory
>
> [cid:3364459484_11867134]
>

> I still working on testing the code on Solaris but I don't imagine I will see anything that will change my mind.
>
> --td
>
> Samuel K. Gutierrez wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> It's a modification to the existing common sm component. The modifications do include the addition of a new POSIX shared memory facility, however.
>
> Sam
>
> On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Graham, Richard L. wrote:
>

> Is this a modification of the existing component, or a new component ?
>
> Rich
>

> On 8/10/10 10:52 AM, "Samuel K. Gutierrez" <samuel_at_[hidden]> <mailto:samuel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to give everyone a heads-up about a new POSIX shared memory
> component
> that has been in the works for a while now and is ready to be pushed
> into the
> trunk.
>
> http://bitbucket.org/samuelkgutierrez/ompi_posix_sm_new
>
> Some highlights:
> o New posix component now the new default.
> o May address some of the shared memory performance issues users
> encounter
> when OMPI's session directories are inadvertently placed on a non-
> local
> filesystem.
> o Silent component failover.
> o In the default case, if the posix component fails initialization,
> mmap will be selected.
> o The sysv component will only be queried for selection if it is
> placed before
> the mmap component (for example, -mca mpi_common_sm
> sysv,posix,mmap). In the
> default case, sysv will never be queried/selected.
> o Per some on-list discussion, now unlinking mmaped file in both mmap
> and posix
> components (see: "System V Shared Memory for Open MPI: Request for
> Community
> Input and Testing" thread).
> o Assuming local process homogeneity with respect to all utilized
> shared
> memory facilities. That is, if one local process deems a
> particular shared
> memory facility acceptable, then ALL local processes should be
> able to
> utilize that facility. As it stands, this is an important point
> because one
> process dictates to all other local processes which common sm
> component will
> be selected based on its own, local run-time test.
> o Addressed some of George's code reuse concerns.
>
> If there are no major objections by August 17th, I'll commit the code

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.650.633.7054
Oracle * - Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture