Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Trunk Commit Heads-up: New Common Shared Memory Component
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-11 14:34:25

I've done some minor testing on Linux looking at resident and shared
memory sizes for np=4, 8 and 16 jobs. I could not see any appreciable
differences in sizes in the process between sysv, posix or mmap usage in
the SM btl.

So I am still somewhat non-plussed about making this the default. It
seems like the biggest gain out of using posix might be one doesn't need
to worry about the location of the backing file. This seems kind of
frivolous to me since there is a warning that happens if the backing
file is not memory based.

I still working on testing the code on Solaris but I don't imagine I
will see anything that will change my mind.

--td

Samuel K. Gutierrez wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> It's a modification to the existing common sm component. The
> modifications do include the addition of a new POSIX shared memory
> facility, however.
>
> Sam
>
> On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Graham, Richard L. wrote:
>
>> Is this a modification of the existing component, or a new component ?
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> On 8/10/10 10:52 AM, "Samuel K. Gutierrez" <samuel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to give everyone a heads-up about a new POSIX shared memory
>> component
>> that has been in the works for a while now and is ready to be pushed
>> into the
>> trunk.
>>
>> http://bitbucket.org/samuelkgutierrez/ompi_posix_sm_new
>>
>> Some highlights:
>> o New posix component now the new default.
>> o May address some of the shared memory performance issues users
>> encounter
>> when OMPI's session directories are inadvertently placed on
>> a non-
>> local
>> filesystem.
>> o Silent component failover.
>> o In the default case, if the posix component fails
>> initialization,
>> mmap will be selected.
>> o The sysv component will only be queried for selection if it is
>> placed before
>> the mmap component (for example, -mca mpi_common_sm
>> sysv,posix,mmap). In the
>> default case, sysv will never be queried/selected.
>> o Per some on-list discussion, now unlinking mmaped file in both mmap
>> and posix
>> components (see: "System V Shared Memory for Open MPI: Request for
>> Community
>> Input and Testing" thread).
>> o Assuming local process homogeneity with respect to all utilized
>> shared
>> memory facilities. That is, if one local process deems a
>> particular shared
>> memory facility acceptable, then ALL local processes should be
>> able to
>> utilize that facility. As it stands, this is an important point
>> because one
>> process dictates to all other local processes which common sm
>> component will
>> be selected based on its own, local run-time test.
>> o Addressed some of George's code reuse concerns.
>>
>> If there are no major objections by August 17th, I'll commit the code
>> after the
>> Tuesday morning conference call.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Samuel K. Gutierrez
>> Los Alamos National Laboratory

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.650.633.7054
Oracle * - Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture