Subject: [OMPI devel] GCC atomic intrinsics
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 11:49:10

*** This mail mainly targeted at Brian and George ***

Debian maintainer Manuel Prinz raised an idea to me this morning:

The Debian community compiles and tests Debian on a huge range of hardware platforms. It's been a long-standing issue that Open MPI doesn't support all of them (e.g., MIPS, ARM, ...). Specifically, we don't have assembly to support all of those platforms.

The Debian community asks: if building with a recent GCC on one of these platforms where OMPI doesn't have native assembly, can we fall back to the GCC intrinsic atomics?

Additionally, there's then OpenPA project from Argonne that supports a bunch of atomics on a bunch of platforms. George told me at one point that he didn't think it was sufficient for Open MPI's needs. Do we know if that's still true?

For corporate legal information go to: