I added a preamble to the top of NEWS and made up the list of items for v1.5. Please verify and send me corrections:
As more fully described in the "Software Version Number" section in
the README file, Open MPI typically releases two separate version
series simultaneously. Since these series have different goals and
are semi-independent of each other, a single NEWS-worthy item may be
introduced into different series at different times. For example,
feature F was introduced in the vA.B series at version vA.B.C, and was
later introduced into the vX.Y series at vX.Y.Z.
The first time feature F is released, the item will be listed in the
vA.B.C section, denoted as:
(** also to appear: X.Y.Z) -- indicating that this item is also
likely to be included in future release
When vX.Y.Z is later released, the same NEWS-worthy item will also be
included in the vX.Y.Z section and be denoted as:
(** also appeared: A.B.C) -- indicating that this item was previously
included in release version vA.B.C.
- Updated shared library versioning scheme and linking style of MPI
applications. The MPI application ABI has been broken from the
v1.3/v1.4 series. MPI applications compiled against any prior
version of Open MPI will need to, at a minimum, re-link. See the
README file for more details.
- Made the openib BTL safer if extremely low SRQ settings are used.
- Fixed handling of the array_of_argv parameter in the Fortran
binding of MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixed mallox(0) warnings in some collectives.
- Fixed a problem with the Fortran binding for
MPI_FILE_CREATE_ERRHANDLER. Thanks to Secretan Yves for identifying
the issue (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Updates to the LSF PLM to ensure that the path is correctly passed.
Thanks to Teng Lin for the patch (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixes for the F90 MPI_COMM_SET_ERRHANDLER and MPI_WIN_SET_ERRHANDLER
bindings. Thanks to Paul Kapinos for pointing out the issue
(** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixes for Solaris oversubscription detection.
- If the PML determines it can't reach a peer process, print a
slightly more helpful message. Thanks to Nick Edmonds for the
- Make btl_openib_if_include/exclude function the same what
btl_tcp_if_include/exclude work (i.e., supplying an _include list
overrides supplying an _exclude list).
- Apply more scalable reachability algorithm on platforms with more
than 8 TCP interfaces.
- Various assembly code updates for more modern platforms / compilers.
- Relax restrictions on using certain kinds of MPI datatypes with
one-sided operations. Users beware; not all MPI datatypes are valid
for use with one-sided operations!
- Improve behavior of MPI_COMM_SPAWN with regards to --bynode.
- Various threading fixes in the openib BTL and other core pieces of
- Various help file and man pages updates.
- Various FreeBSD and NetBSD updates and fixes. Thanks to Kevin
Buckley and Aleksej Saushev for their work.
- Fix case where freeing communicators in MPI_FINALIZE could cause
- Print warnings if shared memory state files are opened on what look
like networked filesystems.
- Update libevent to v1.4.13.
- Allow propagating signals to processes that call fork().
- Fix bug where MPI_GATHER was sometimes incorrectly examining the
datatype on non-root processes. Thanks to Michael Hofmann for
investigating the issue.
- Various Microsoft Windows fixes.
- Various Catamount fixes.
- Various checkpoint / restart fixes.
- Xgrid support has been removed until it can be fixed (patches
would be welcome).
- Added simplistic "libompitrace" contrib package. Using the MPI
profiling interface, it essentially prints out to stderr when select
MPI functions are invoked.
- Update bundled VampirTrace to v5.8.2.
- Add pkg-config(1) configuration files for ompi, ompi-c, ompi-cxx,
ompi-f77, ompi-f90. See the README for more details.
- Added "knem" support (direct process-to-process copying for shared
memory message passing). See http://runtime.bordeaux.inria.fr/knem/
and the README file for more details.
- Removed the libopenmpi_malloc library (added in the v1.3 series)
since it is no longer necessary
- Add several notifier plugins (generally used when Open MPI detects
system/network administrator-worthy problems); each have their own
MCA parameters to govern their usage. See "ompi_info --param
notifier <name>" for more details.
- command to execute arbitrary commands (e.g., run a script).
- file to send output to a file.
- ftb to send output to the Fault Tolerant Backplane (see
- hnp to send the output to mpirun.
- smtp (requires libesmtp) to send an email.
- twitter (yes, that Twitter) to send a Tweet.
For corporate legal information go to: