Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI users] Debug info on Darwin
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-09 23:43:04

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Peter Thompson wrote:
>

>> It was suggested by our CTO that if these files were compiled as to
>> produce STABS debug info, rather than DWARF, then the debug info would
>> be copied into the executables and shared libraries, and we would then
>> be able to debug with Open MPI without a problem. I'm not sure if this
>> is the best place to offer that suggestion, but I imagine it's not a bad
>> place to start. ;-)
>>

> Having just moved this to the "devel" list...
>
> I don't think we'd mind doing what you propose if it's not too icky. These files are explicitly there for debuggers like TV, after all.
>
> So how do we do that? (I don't know anything about STABS or DWARF)

Extracted from "man gcc" on Darwin host:

       -gstabs
           Produce debugging information in stabs format (if that is
supported), without GDB
           extensions. This is the format used by DBX on most BSD
systems. On MIPS, Alpha and
           System V Release 4 systems this option produces stabs
debugging output which is not
           understood by DBX or SDB. On System V Release 4 systems this
option requires the GNU
           assembler.

       -gstabs+
           Produce debugging information in stabs format (if that is
supported), using GNU
           extensions understood only by the GNU debugger (GDB). The
use of these extensions is
           likely to make other debuggers crash or refuse to read the
program.

Future Technologies Group