Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] System V Shared Memory for Open MPI: Request for Community Input and Testing
From: Eugene Loh (eugene.loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-09 14:46:42

If anyone is up for it, another interesting performance comparison could
be start-up time. That is, consider a fat node with many on-node
processes and a large shared-memory area. How long does it take for all
that shared memory to be set up? Arguably, start-up time is a
"second-order effect", but it ends up mattering to someone sometime. I
can't find my notes on this, but I thought SysV had some nice advantages
in this area, but there were many other complicating factors (even
beyond the clean-up stuff Jeff mentions).