Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] /dev/shm usage
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-18 10:58:46

Jeff Squyres wrote:
[snip]
> Ralph and I talked about this on the phone a bit this morning. There's several complicating factors in using /dev/shm (aren't there always? :-) ).

[snip]
> --> This seems to imply that using /dev/shm should not be default behavior.

[snip]

I agree that /dev/shm introduces extra complications and should not be
the default. The FAQ text I provided was intended to suggest /dev/shm
as a session dir (or session root) ONLY for people who had diskless
nodes and thus no obvious alternatives to network-mounted /tmp.

If one wants to pursue placing the SM BTL's shared memory files in
/dev/shm by default, that is independent of adding something to the new
FAQ entry to address the diskless case.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352
HPC Research Department                   Fax: +1-510-486-6900
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory