Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove all other paffinity components
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-18 08:50:43

On May 18, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:

> The above sounds like you are replacing the whole paffinity framework with hwloc. Is that true? Or is the hwloc accessors you are talking about non-paffinity related?

Good point; these have all gotten muddled in the email chain. Let me re-state everything in one place in an attempt to be clear:

1. Split paffinity into two frameworks (because some OS's support one and not the other):
  - binding: just for getting and setting processor affinity
  - hwmap: just for mapping (board, socket, core, hwthread) <--> OS processor ID
  --> Note that hwmap will be an expansion of the current paffinity capabilities

2. Add hwloc to opal
  - Commit the hwloc tree to opal/util/hwloc (or somesuch)
  - Have the ability to configure hwloc out (e.g., for embedded environments)
  - Add a dozen or two hwloc wrappers in opal/util/hwloc.c|h
  - The rest of the OPAL/ORTE/OMPI trees *only call these wrapper functions* -- they do not call hwloc directly
  - These wrappers will call the back-end hwloc functions or return OPAL_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED (or somesuch) if hwloc is not available

For corporate legal information go to: