Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] The" Missing Symbol" issue and OpenMPI on NetBSD
From: Kevin.Buckley_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-05-16 17:56:51

Jeff,

> So the error message is at least *somewhat* better than a totally
> misleading "file not found" message -- but it still only speculates
> on the real reason that libltdl failed to load the DSO.
>
> 2. https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/22806 put in an
> OMPI-specific change to libltdl that avoids the incorrect error message
> altogether. So now OMPI should print out the *real* reason libltdl
> failed to load the DSO.
>
> It does not look like this patch made it over into the v1.4 series;
> it is awaiting review before it moves to the v1.5 branch
> (https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/2337).
>
> Hope that all made sense!

Great insight. You'll appreciate I have some idea as to what's going on
but not the completed jigsaw view as to how all the pieces I find fit
into the whole, so thank you.

Not sure it explains away the inabaility of my libtool test program to
open the shared-library in question but it certainly moves things
forwards.

> Have you tried building Open MPI with the --disable-dlopen configure flag?
> This will slurp all of OMPI's DSOs up into libmpi.so -- so there's no
> dlopening at run-time. Hence, your app (R) can dlopen libmpi.so, but then
> libmpi.so doesn't dlopen anything else -- all of OMPI's plugins are
> physically located in libmpi.so.

Given your reasoning, that's gotta be worth a shot: wilco.

Thanks once again for your time on this,
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971