Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Porting OpenMPI to a new system
From: Ioannis E. Venetis (venetis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-29 02:29:50

Hello Ralf,

Thank you for answering.

On 29/4/2010 9:02 πμ, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Ioannis,
>
> * Ioannis E. Venetis wrote on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 05:34:47PM CEST:
>> b) The cross-compilation environment should be run on a Linux x86_64
>> system. The cross-compiler, libraries, etc are already working, which
>> means that only OpenMPI needs to be ported right now. We use this
>> environment together with a simulator of the system, in order to
>> evaluate any changes in the architecture of the system. Using the
>> typical configure options of most applications, we would like to have
>> something like the following options in this case when building OpenMPI:
>>
>> --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --build=<our system triplet>
>
> It looks like you are mixing up host and build. build is the system you
> run configure on, host is the system the generated OpenMPI will run on.
> Also, x86_64-linux-gnu is not a valid triplet, as it is missing the
> vendor bit. x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu is valid.

Oops, yes you are right of course.

> If your new system is sufficiently different from existing systems, then
> all kinds of files from the build system may need updating: config.guess
> and config.sub (email to send patches to is listed in the files), the
> Libtool macro files (write to bug-libtool_at_[hidden]). But if you already
> have a working cross compiler it doesn't seem to me like these steps
> would be necessary.

So, I should start from the config files, right? I am not certain why I
would not need to change them, because of the existence of the
cross-compiler. Now I need to config OpenMPI for my new system, so I
assume that I need to make these changes. I will have a look and come
back with any questions/problems.

Thank you,

Ioannis