Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Deprecate rankfile?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-15 18:00:23

WHAT: Deprecate the "rankfile" component in the v1.5 series; remove it in the 1.7 series

WHY: It's old, creaky, and difficult to maintain. It'll require maintenance someday soon, when we support hardware / hyperthreads in OMPI.

WHERE: svn rm orte/mca/rmaps/rank_file

WHEN: Deprecate in 1.5, remove in 1.7.

TIMEOUT: Teleconf on Tue, 27 April 2010

-----

Now that we have nice paffinity binding options, can we deprecate rankfile in the 1.5 series and remove it in 1.7?

I only ask because it's kind of a pain to maintain. It's not a huge deal, but Ralph and I were talking about another paffinity issue today and we both groaned at the prospect of extending rank file to support hyperthreads (and/or boards). Perhaps it should just go away...?

Pro: less maintenance, especially since the original developers no longer maintain it

Con: it's the only way to have completely custom affinity bindings (i.e., outside of our pre-constructed "bind to socket", "bind to core", etc. options). ...do any other MPI's offer completely custom binding options? I.e., do any real users care?

For corporate legal information go to: