Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Deprecate rankfile?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-15 18:00:23

WHAT: Deprecate the "rankfile" component in the v1.5 series; remove it in the 1.7 series

WHY: It's old, creaky, and difficult to maintain. It'll require maintenance someday soon, when we support hardware / hyperthreads in OMPI.

WHERE: svn rm orte/mca/rmaps/rank_file

WHEN: Deprecate in 1.5, remove in 1.7.

TIMEOUT: Teleconf on Tue, 27 April 2010

Now that we have nice paffinity binding options, can we deprecate rankfile in the 1.5 series and remove it in 1.7?

I only ask because it's kind of a pain to maintain. It's not a huge deal, but Ralph and I were talking about another paffinity issue today and we both groaned at the prospect of extending rank file to support hyperthreads (and/or boards). Perhaps it should just go away...?

Pro: less maintenance, especially since the original developers no longer maintain it

Con: it's the only way to have completely custom affinity bindings (i.e., outside of our pre-constructed "bind to socket", "bind to core", etc. options). any other MPI's offer completely custom binding options? I.e., do any real users care?

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: