Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC 1/1: improvements to the "notifier" framework and ORTE WDC
From: Nadia Derbey (Nadia.Derbey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-30 02:14:26

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 09:37 -0600, Ralph Castain wrote:
> Hi Abhishek
>

> I'm confused by the WDC wiki page, specifically the part about the new
> ORTE_NOTIFIER_DEFINE_EVENT macro. Are you saying that I (as the
> developer) have to provide this macro with a unique notifier id?

Hi Ralph,

Actually ORTE_NOTIFIER_DEFINE_EVENT(<i>, <string>) expands to a static
inline routine notifier_log_event_<i>(). So I would say there is a one
to one relationship between an event id and a log_event routine. So
there is no need to do a lookup inside an array or a list.
So yes the event identifier needs to be unique, but only inside a single
source file: you can perpectly call ORTE_NOTIFIER_DEFINE_EVENT(0,
<string1>) in a .c file and ORTE_NOTIFIER_DEFINE_EVENT(0, <string2>) in
another one.

Now, we could centralize the event ids in a .h file in the notifier
framework, but the purpose here would only be to have something
"cleaner".

> So that would mean that ORTE/OMPI would have to maintain a global
> notifier id counter to ensure it is unique?

>From what I said before, we don't need this.

Regards,
Nadia

> If so, that seems really cumbersome. Could you please clarify?
>

> Thanks
> Ralph
>
> On Mar 29, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Abhishek Kulkarni wrote:

> > [RFC 1/2]
> >
> > WHAT: Merge improvements to the "notifier" framework from the OPAL
> > SOS
> > and the ORTE WDC mercurial branches into the SVN trunk.
> >
> > WHY: Some improvements and interface changes were put into the ORTE
> > notifier framework during the development of the OPAL SOS[1] and
> > ORTE WDC[2] branches.
> >
> > WHERE: Mostly restricted to ORTE notifier files and files using the
> > notifier interface in OMPI.
> >
> > TIMEOUT: The weekend of April 2-3.
> >
> > REFERENCE MERCURIAL REPOS:
> > * SOS development: http://bitbucket.org/jsquyres/opal-sos-fixed/
> > * WDC development: http://bitbucket.org/derbeyn/orte-wdc-fixed/

> > BACKGROUND:
> >
> > The notifier interface and its components underwent a host of
> > improvements and changes during the development of the SOS[1] and
> > the
> > WDC[2] branches. The ORTE WDC (Warning Data Capture) branch enables
> > accounting of events through the use of notifier interface, whereas
> > OPAL SOS uses the notifier interface by setting up callbacks to
> > relay
> > out logged events.
> >
> > Some of the improvements include:
> >
> > - added more severity levels.
> > - "ftb" notifier improvements.
> > - "command" notifier improvements.
> > - added "file" notifier component
> > - changes in the notifier modules selection
> > - activate only a subset of the callbacks
> > (i.e. any combination of log, help, log_peer)
> > - define different output media for any given callback (e.g.
> > log_peer
> > can be redirected to the syslog and smtp, while the show_help can be
> > sent to the hnp).
> > - ORTE_NOTIFIER_LOG_EVENT() (that accounts and warns about unusual
> > events)
> >
> > Much more information is available on these two wiki pages:
> >
> > [1] http://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/ErrorMessages
> > [2] http://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/ORTEWDC
> >
> > NOTE: This is first of a two-part RFC to bring the SOS and WDC
> > branches
> > to the trunk. This only brings in the "notifier" changes from the
> > SOS
> > branch, while the rest of the branch will be brought over after the
> > timeout of the second RFC.

Nadia Derbey <Nadia.Derbey_at_[hidden]>