Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: increase default AC/AM/LT requirements
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-25 16:55:27

I think our last set of minimums was based on being able to use RHEL4 out of the box. Updating to whatever ships with RHEL5 probably makes sense, but I think that still leaves you at a LT 1.5.x release. Being higher than that requires new Autotools, which seems like asking for trouble.

Brian

On Feb 25, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> WHAT: Bump minimum required versions of GNU autotools up to modern versions. I suggest the following, but could be talked down a version or two:
> Autoconf: 2.65
> Automake: 1.11.1
> Libtool: 2.2.6b
>
> WHY: Stop carrying patches and workarounds for old versions.
>
> WHERE: autogen.sh, make_dist_tarball, various Makefile.am's, configure.ac, *.m4.
>
> WHEN: No real rush. Somewhere in 1.5.x.
>
> TIMEOUT: Friday March 5, 2010

> I was debugging a complex Automake timestamp issue yesterday and discovered that it was caused by the fact that we are patching an old version of libtool.m4. It took a little while to figure out both the problem and an acceptable workaround. During this process, I noticed that autogen.sh still carries patches to fix bugs in some *really* old versions of Libtool (e.g., 1.5.22). Hence, I am send this RFC to increase the minimum required versions.
>
> Keep in mind:
>
> 1. This ONLY affects developers. Those who build from tarballs don't even need to have the Autotools installed.
> 2. Autotool patches should always be pushed upstream. We should only maintain patches for things that have been pushed upstream but have not yet been released.
> 3. We already have much more recent Autotools requirements for official distribution tarballs; see the chart here:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/svn/building.php
>
> Specifically: although official tarballs require recent Autotools, we allow developers to use much older versions. Why are we still carrying around this old kruft? Does some developer out there have a requirement to use older Autotools?
>
> If not, this RFC proposes to only allow recent versions of the Autotools to build Open MPI. I believe there's reasonable m4 these days that can make autogen/configure/whatever abort early if the versions are not new enough. This would allow us, at a minimum, to drop some of the libtool patches we're carrying. There may be some Makefile.am workarounds that are no longer necessary, too.
>
> There's no real rush on this; if this RFC passes, we can set a concrete, fixed date some point in the future where we switch over to requiring new versions. This should give everyone plenty of time to update if you need to, etc.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

  Brian W. Barrett