Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: ABI break between 1.4 and 1.5 / .so versioning
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-23 12:31:20

No one has opposed the "1 big libmpi" proposal from a week ago, and I brought it up on the call again today to ensure that people had an opportunity to oppose the idea. No one did, so I plan to bring this into the trunk in the near future.

Two notes:

1. libopen-rte and libopen-pal will continue to be 0:0:0 for the rest of the v1.4 series. They will be versioned starting with v1.5.0.
2. Liandro's point is a good one that we need to document what was done, and perhaps also the workaround mentioned in case someone needs it (although I don't think that we should guarantee that it works; since we're opening the floodgates of breaking ABI, other ABI-changing things may come in that may subtly or explicitly break this workaround).

On Feb 19, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 18 February 2010 10:53, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 2010, at 1:53 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>>
>>> You could probably create fake empty libopen-rte and libopen-pal stub
>>> libraries with 0:0:0 purely for the sake of allowing such an a.out to
>>> still work (on systems with versioned sonames[1]). Since this doesn't
>>> actually use any of the APIs from those libraries, there is no problem
>>> here, and your 1.5 libmpi will pull in the 1:0:0 versions of the other
>>> two libraries.
>>
>> You get 10 "evil genius" points for a nifty-yet-icky solution. :-)
>>
>> I don't really want to continue carrying forward empty libraries just to maintain ABI. I'm (mostly) ok with breaking ABI at a major series change (i.e., 1.5.0).
>>

> And you could add a FAQ entry or document in some place how to do this
> trick, just in case a sysadmin desperately needs the hack because of
> pressure from some user with ABI issues.
>

> --
> Lisandro Dalcin

For corporate legal information go to: