Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: pkg-config(1) files for OMPI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-18 12:10:34

WHAT: Add pkg-config(1) data files for Open MPI

WHY: pkg-config is a de facto Linux standard. At least one user asked for it; it was easy to do

WHERE: */config/config_files.m4, */tools/wrappers

WHEN: Can be for 1.5 or 1.5.1; I don't really have a strong opinion

TIMEOUT: Next Tuesday teleconf

pkg-config(1) is fairly common in Linux and *BSD distributions. See http://linux.die.net/man/1/pkg-config for a description of the pkg-config software. It's basically an alternate, de facto standard way to get to OMPI's wrapper compiler flags. Something like this works, for example:

    gcc mpi_ring.c `pkg-config ompi-c --cflags --libs` -o mpi_ring

All this does is add a few configure-generated files that get installed under $libdir/pkgconfig. I did almost all the work while waiting for other compilers. MPICH2 provides a pkg-config file.

I think we should include it because it affects almost nothing else, is easy to do, and at least 1 user asked for it.

I don't expect this to be contentious. We can discuss next Tuesday, but feel free to pipe up before then if you have any objections.

For corporate legal information go to: