Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: pkg-config(1) files for OMPI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-18 12:10:34

WHAT: Add pkg-config(1) data files for Open MPI

WHY: pkg-config is a de facto Linux standard. At least one user asked for it; it was easy to do

WHERE: */config/config_files.m4, */tools/wrappers

WHEN: Can be for 1.5 or 1.5.1; I don't really have a strong opinion

TIMEOUT: Next Tuesday teleconf

pkg-config(1) is fairly common in Linux and *BSD distributions. See for a description of the pkg-config software. It's basically an alternate, de facto standard way to get to OMPI's wrapper compiler flags. Something like this works, for example:

    gcc mpi_ring.c `pkg-config ompi-c --cflags --libs` -o mpi_ring

All this does is add a few configure-generated files that get installed under $libdir/pkgconfig. I did almost all the work while waiting for other compilers. MPICH2 provides a pkg-config file.

I think we should include it because it affects almost nothing else, is easy to do, and at least 1 user asked for it.

I don't expect this to be contentious. We can discuss next Tuesday, but feel free to pipe up before then if you have any objections.

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: