Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Adding -DOPEN_MPI=1 to mpif77 and mpif90
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-12 05:41:53

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Jeff Squyres wrote on Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:41:15PM CET:

>>> It won't work with IBM xlf which needs -WF,-D. I'm sure there are other
>>> Fortran compilers that don't grok -D either (and may not have any other
>>> flag), but I'm not sure whether OpenMPI cares about them.
>>>
>> Ah, good!
>>
>> If we care, it is easy enough to add a configure test to figure this
>> kind of stuff out.
>>

> Sure.
>

>> Are you aware of any other Fortran compilers that don't accept -D, and
>> if so, what flags they *do* accept?
>>

> I've come across old Fortran 77 compilers that don't do any preprocessing
> and thus don't accept any related flags. I don't remember details
> though, and I'm not aware of any currently-used ones; my experience with
> Fortran compilers is limited though.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

It seems to me that if the compiler doesn't support any form of
preprocessing, then the user can't tell whether one has defined OPEN_MPI
or not.
So, one defines it when the capability exists, and does nothing for
compilers lacking the capability.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352
HPC Research Department                   Fax: +1-510-486-6900
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory