Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Rename ompi/include/mpi_portable_platform.h
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-11 15:11:40

My only $0.02 is that if we rename it to opal_portable_platform.h, we must remember that this file is #included in mpi.h, and therefore it is installed in user OMPI installations.

$includedir/mpi_portable_platform.h was deemed to be a "safe" filename. But we've already had a name conflict with "opal" -- so I'm not sure that $includedir/opal_portable_platform.h is a "safe" filename. We might consider installing it in $includedir/openmpi/opal_portable_platform.h... or something like that (I realize that $includeddir/openmpi/<foo> is not necessarily a good choice for OPAL and ORTE standalone projects; so perhaps a little creativity is required here...).

On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:

> WHAT: Rename ompi/include/mpi_portable_platform.h to be opal/include/opal_portable_platform.h
>
> WHY: The file includes definitions and macros that identify the compiler used to build the system, etc.
> The contents actually have nothing specific to do with MPI.
>
> WHEN: Weekend of Feb 20th
>

> I'm trying to rationalize the ompi_info system so that people who build different layers can still get a report of the MCA params, build configuration, etc. for the layers they build. Thus, there would be an "orte_info" and "opal_info" capability. Each would report not only the info for their own layer, but the layer(s) below. So ompi_info remains unchanged, orte_info reports ORTE and OPAL info, etc.
>
> The problem I encountered is that the referenced file is required for the various "info" tools, but it exists in the MPI layer. Since the file is only accessed at build time, I can go ahead and reference it from within "orte_info" and "opal_info", but it does somewhat break the abstraction barrier to do so.
>
> Given that the info in the file has nothing to do with MPI itself, it seemed reasonable to move it to opal...barring arguments to the contrary.
>
> Ralph

For corporate legal information go to: