Subject: [OMPI devel] Bug or feature?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-15 23:01:07

Hi folks

In case you didn't follow this on the user list, we had a question come up about proper OMPI behavior. Basically, the user has an application where one process decides it should cleanly terminate prior to calling MPI_Init, but all the others go ahead and enter MPI_Init. The application hangs since we don't detect the one proc's exit as an abnormal termination (no segfault, and it didn't call MPI_Init so it isn't required to call MPI_Finalize prior to termination).

I can probably come up with a way to detect this scenario and abort it. But before I spend the effort chasing this down, my question to you MPI folks is:

What -should- OMPI do in this situation? We have never previously detected such behavior - was this an oversight, or is this simply a "bad" application?

Thanks
Ralph