Subject: [OMPI devel] Changing BTL configs at runtime
From: Christoph Konersmann (c_k_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-11 04:50:20

Hello list,

I'm currently trying to change some BTL settings at runtime. More
precisely I want to change the BTL's exclusivity with an external tool
while an Open MPI Process is running.

The main purpose is to switch the BTL's used for the upcoming send
messages. For example switch from openib to tcp.

My idea was the following: As BTL's with a lower exclusivity are
currently excluded from the senders list, I changed mca_bml_r2_add_procs
to leave them in. And I also added a function getting the next BTL with
the same highest exclusivity. I then started to programming an ORTE tool
which connects with opal_dss to the hnp. But now I realize that with
orte_comm.c I have no access to the BML, do I? The layered architecture
of Open MPI somehow prevents this as the ORTE library should not depend
on the OMPI library. Is there another way of getting runtime access to
the BML of a running OMPI process?

Base source code is the current trunk version of Subversion.

Any help or other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks, Christoph

--
Paderborn Center for Parallel Computing - PC2
University of Paderborn - Germany