Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Branch off of trunk for v1.5
From: Rainer Keller (keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-10 08:55:46

WHAT: Branch (again) for v1.5

WHY: Heavy divergence of trunk vs. v1.5 with few associated CMR's

WHERE: v1.5

WHEN: Tuesday, Dec. 15th 2009 after the teleconference

TIMEOUT: Dec. 15th, 2009

More Details
------------

With v1.4 finally being out in the wild, we'd like to advance on the feature
release v1.5.

There have been some quite radical changes on the trunk recently that make the
tracking of divergence vs. v1.5 needlessly hard (please see the overview of
action items patches if we do not follow this RFC). Paired with this, most
developers have not been filing v1.5 CMR's; someone would need to chase down
everything that has happened on the trunk and "encourage" developers to then
file relevant CMRs.

Re-branching will likely cause some "I told you so"'s. We tip our hats to
acknowledge that you were right. :-)

We hope that re-branching, paired with the new automatically-create-CMRs-via-
SVN-commit-messages feature will help keep a new v1.5 branch in much better
shape.

The most relevant question for the discussion would seem to be: is there
anything on the trunk that is not intended for v1.5? Let's discuss next
Tuesday.

Regardless of whether we re-branch or not, we'd like to ask all to ramp up
v1.5 MTT-testing, possibly even by adding other test applications.

With best regards,
Jeff and Rainer

Rainer Keller, PhD                  Tel: +1 (865) 241-6293
Oak Ridge National Lab          Fax: +1 (865) 241-4811
PO Box 2008 MS 6164           Email: keller_at_[hidden]
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-2008    AIM/Skype: rusraink