Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [patch] Verifying the message queue DLL build
From: Ashley Pittman (ashley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-08 08:06:44

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 07:39 -0500, Terry Dontje wrote:
> Ashley Pittman wrote:
> > I've seen several cases now where people have functional, installed MPI
> > libraries yet when they've come to use padb they have discovered a build
> > problem with the Message Queue DLL which prevents it from working.
> >

> The cases I've seen this happen is with the Sun Studio compiler when a
> source file pulls in a header that defines an inline static function
> that uses some extern symbols but the inline static function itself is
> never used. For some reason Sun Studio (I believe I've seen another
> compiler do this also pgi or pathscale I think) decides to make those
> extern symbols unresolved instead of just ignoring them.

That explains a couple of occurrences I've seen. Another example is
Jeffs debug-handles branch where the code incorrectly called free
instead of mqs_free, unfortunately free is #defined to be opal_free
which then becomes an undefined symbol.

> The current trunk and 1.5 branch should have this issue extricated from
> it. However, this seems to always creep in every so often. So the
> below test is greatly appreciated. Also, have you ran this test against
> the trunk and 1.5, yet (is my belief of things are clean there correct)?

I've run it against a slightly stale version of the trunk which is as
you say clean currently. I'm not sure where I'd get a 1.5 branch from
but if you point me to it I can test this as well.

Ashley,

--
Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.
http://padb.pittman.org.uk