Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Deadlocks with new (routed) orted launch algorithm
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-01 19:57:49

On Dec 1, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:
>
>> > So perhaps it can become a param in the downcall to the MCA base as to whether the priority params should be automatically registered...?
>>
>> I can live with that, though I again question why anything needs to be automatically registered. It sounds like we were lazy, and so now we have things happening automatically that can confuse people.
>>

> That pretty well sums it up. :-)

hehe

>> Question: if the system automatically registers a priority param, and someone sets a priority with it, then what happens when the component returns a different (possibly hardwired) value? Does MCA base ignore what was set and use what was returned? I assume that is the case...
>>

> If the component re-registers a priority param with a new default value, that new default becomes *the* default (overwriting the prior default value that was registered).
>
> Is that what you're asking?

Not exactly - I was more curious about the hardwired case since no param is involved. We just return a value. If the MCA selection logic is looking at param values and not what was returned, then we would have a problem.

I'm thinking that isn't the case, though, as I would expect to see strange behavior if that happened.