Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Deadlocks with new (routed) orted launch algorithm
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-01 17:40:14

On Dec 1, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:

> The only issue with that is it implies there is a param that can be
> adjusted - and there isn't. So it can confuse a user - or even a
> developer, as it did here.
>
> I should think we wouldn't want MCA to automatically add any
> parameter. If the component doesn't register it, then it shouldn't
> exist. The MCA can just track a value without defining it as a
> visible param.
>
> True?

The original code came from long, long ago -- when every component did
have a relevant priority (i.e., when priority was about the only way
to choose which one was used). Developers didn't want to register a
"foo_priority" param for every single component, so we made it
automatic.

That doesn't necessarily fit anymore -- as Ralph said, priority isn't
relevant for some frameworks.

So perhaps it can become a param in the downcall to the MCA base as to
whether the priority params should be automatically registered...?