Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Revamped topo framework
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 21:13:18

WHAT: Revamp the topo framework to be more consistent with the rest of
the code base

WHY: The code was ancient, inconsistent with the rest of the code
base, and had some latent bugs. It would actually have been
impossible to have a 2nd topo component.

WHEN: Now

WHERE: ompi/mca/topo/*, ompi/debuggers/*, ompi/communicator/*, ompi/
mpi/c

TIMEOUT: COB Monday, 9 Nov 2009

As discussed a few days ago on this list, I revamped the OMPI topo
framework to make it more modern / like all the other frameworks (it
was written way back near the very beginning of this project and has
barely been modified since). I fixed some latent bugs (which weren't
evident because we only have the 1 topo component -- unity) and made
the selection scheme much more consistent with the rest of the code
base.

The code can be found here:

     http://bitbucket.org/jsquyres/ompi-topo-fixes/

Attached is a patch against the SVN trunk, r22197. If no one has any
objections / suggestions / comments, I plan to commit this work by COB
next Monday, 9 Nov 2009.

This RFC has a short timeout because I expect this to not be
controversial and I already mentioned this on the list a few days ago.