Subject: [OMPI devel] Memory corruption with mpool
From: Mondrian Nuessle (nuessle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-02 07:22:11

Hi everybody!

We are working on a new, experimental interconnection network (the EXTOLL network) and I am currently working on a MTL
component for that hardware. Actually, it works quite good :-)

Recently I included the RDMA mpool component for memory registration caching into my code. Again, this works
quite nicely and provides bandwidth improvements for large messages.

I observed one problem though:

If I turn on mpi_leave_pinned (and thus the registration cache is actually used), I see occasional memory corruption
issues for example when I call MPI_Allreduce often.

Debugging with valgrind did not lead to any clues, since OMPI refuses to run in that case. If I turn off
mpi_leave_pinned, everything seems to be fine.

I tested on version 1.3.3 and 1.3.4rc1.

Do you have any suggestions how to investigate this situation?

Thanks,
Mondrian Nuessle

--
 Dr. Mondrian Nuessle
 Phone: +49 621 181 2717          University of Heidelberg