Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI users] cartofile
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-13 09:16:16

Here is where OMPI uses it:

ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1918:static
opal_carto_graph_t *host_topo;
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1923:
opal_carto_base_node_t *device_node;
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1931: device_node =
opal_carto_base_find_node(host_topo, device);
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1941:
opal_carto_base_node_t *slot_node;
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1951: slot_node =
opal_carto_base_find_node(host_topo, slot);
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1958: distance =
opal_carto_base_spf(host_topo, slot_node, device_node);
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1989:
opal_carto_base_get_host_graph(&host_topo, "Infiniband");
ompi/mca/btl/openib/btl_openib_component.c:1998:
opal_carto_base_free_graph(host_topo);
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:118: opal_carto_graph_t *topo;
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:123: opal_carto_node_distance_t *dist;
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:124: opal_carto_base_node_t *slot_node;
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:129: if (OMPI_SUCCESS !=
opal_carto_base_get_host_graph(&topo, "Memory")) {
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:134: opal_value_array_init(&dists, sizeof
(opal_carto_node_distance_t));
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:157: slot_node = opal_carto_base_find_node
(topo, myslot);
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:163: opal_carto_base_get_nodes_distance
(topo, slot_node, "Memory", &dists);
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:168: dist = (opal_carto_node_distance_t
*) opal_value_array_get_item(&dists, 0);
ompi/mca/btl/sm/btl_sm.c:175: opal_carto_base_free_graph(topo);

No idea if it is of any value or not. I don't know of anyone who has
ever written a carto file for a system, has any idea how to do so, or
why they should. Looking at the code, it wouldn't appear to have any
value on any of the machines at LANL, but I may be missing something -
not a lot of help around to understand it.