Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Error message improvement
From: N.M. Maclaren (nmm1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-09 07:59:53

On Sep 9 2009, George Bosilca wrote:
>On Sep 9, 2009, at 14:16 , Lenny Verkhovsky wrote:
>
>> does C99 complient compiler is something unusual
>> or is there a policy among OMPI developers/users that prevent me f
>> rom using __func__ instead of hardcoded strings in the code ?
>
>__func__ is what you should use. We take care of having it defined in
>_all_ cases. If the compiler doesn't support it we define it manually
>(to __FUNCTION__ or to __FILE__ in the worst case), so it is always
>available (even if it doesn't contain what one might expect such in
>the case of __FILE__).

That's a good, practical solution. A slight rider is that you shouldn't
be clever with it - such as using it in preprocessor statements. I tried
some tests at one stage, and there were 'interesting' variations on how
different compilers interpreted C99. Let alone the fact that it might
map to something else, with different rules. If you need to play such
games, use hard-coded names.

Things may have stabilised since then, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.