Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] build problem, autogen
From: Tim Mattox (timattox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-27 22:22:27

Hi Eugene,
That FAQ entry is correct.. except that soon we won't need a C++ compiler :-)

However, *IF* you want to run autogen.sh, you need recent
versions of all four gnu autotool dependencies:
m4, autoconf, automake, and libtool
as described here:
http://www.open-mpi.org/svn/building.php

However, if you are using a nightly tarball or a release
tarball, you should not need to (nor want to!) run autogen.sh,
and can just do the usual:
"./configure --pile-of-options; make; make install"

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Eugene Loh<Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Tim Mattox wrote:
>
>> Don't forget to also install a recent gnu libtool.
>>

> Lemme see:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-tools says: "If you are
> building Open MPI from a tarball, you need a C compiler, a C++ compiler, and
> make... You do not need any special version of the GNU "Auto" tools
> (Autoconf, Automake, Libtool)."
>
> So, that presumably means I *should* be okay.
>
> For what it's worth, I can no longer find the places that led me to believe
> that:
>
> *) I needed the versions of the tools (m4, autoconf, automake) that I picked
> up.
> *) I did not need libtool since OMPI had its own, hacked up version.
>
> but those were the assumptions I operated under.
>
>> On Thursday, August 27, 2009, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>

>>> Don't you need a rehash in your script to make sure it picks up the
>>> newly-installed autotools?
>>>

> Good point. I'm a dummy about these things. Assuming I know how to fix
> what you're saying, I inserted a "rehash" in my script after "make install",
> but still got the same problem. That is, the relevent part of the script
> now says:
>
> foreach PACKAGE ( m4-1.4.13 autoconf-2.63 automake-1.10.2 )
> bunzip2 $PACKAGE.tar.bz2
> tar xf $PACKAGE.tar
> pushd $PACKAGE
> ./configure --prefix=$INSTALLDIR
> make
> make install
> popd
> rehash
> end
>
> bunzip2 openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar.bz2
> tar xf openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar
> pushd openmpi-1.4a1r20984
> ./autogen.sh
>
> and the end of the log file still says:
>
> *** Running GNU tools
> [Running] libtoolize --automake --copy
> [Running] aclocal
> configure.in:2123: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
> [Running] autoheader
> [Running] autoconf
> configure.in:2126: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> See the Autoconf documentation.

> It seems that the execution of "autoconf" has failed. See above for
> the specific error message that caused it to abort.
>
> Error running autogen.sh -l in romio. Aborting.
>

>>> On Aug 27, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Eugene Loh wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm having a build problem. I want to be able to build on all sorts of
>>> different machines and don't always know that the right versions of
>>> various tools will be available. So, I drag them around with me. So,
>>> e.g., I have these tarballs:
>>>
>>> autoconf-2.63.tar.bz2
>>> automake-1.10.2.tar.bz2
>>> m4-1.4.13.tar.bz2
>>> openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> After building the other tools, I start autogen on OMPI and get this:
>>>
>>> *** Running GNU tools
>>> [Running] libtoolize --automake --copy
>>> [Running] aclocal
>>> http://configure.in:2123: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in
>>> library
>>> [Running] autoheader
>>> [Running] autoconf
>>> http://configure.in:2126: error: possibly undefined macro:
>>> AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
>>> If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>> See the Autoconf documentation.

>>> It seems that the execution of "autoconf" has failed. See above for
>>> the specific error message that caused it to abort.
>>>
>>> Error running autogen.sh -l in romio. Aborting.
>>>
>>> What's up? This is SuSE with GCC. Run script and log file attached.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/csh -x
>>>
>>> ls
>>>
>>> setenv CFLAGS "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv CXXFLAGS "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv FFLAGS "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv FCFLAGS "-O -m64 -g"
>>>
>>> pwd
>>>
>>> set INSTALLDIR = `pwd`/myopt
>>> set path = ( $INSTALLDIR/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/bin /bin )
>>>
>>> foreach PACKAGE ( m4-1.4.13 autoconf-2.63 automake-1.10.2 )
>>> bunzip2 $PACKAGE.tar.bz2
>>> tar xf $PACKAGE.tar
>>> pushd $PACKAGE
>>> ./configure --prefix=$INSTALLDIR
>>> make
>>> make install
>>> popd
>>> end
>>>
>>> bunzip2 openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar.bz2
>>> tar xf openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar
>>> pushd openmpi-1.4a1r20984
>>> ./autogen.sh
>>> # ./configure \
>>> # --disable-visibility \
>>> # --enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default \
>>> # --prefix=$INSTALLDIR
>>> # make
>>> # make install
>>> popd
>>>
>>> ls

Tim Mattox, Ph.D. - http://homepage.mac.com/tmattox/
 tmattox_at_[hidden] || timattox_at_[hidden]
    I'm a bright... http://www.the-brights.net/