Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] build problem, autogen
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-27 21:45:07

Tim Mattox wrote:

>Don't forget to also install a recent gnu libtool.

Lemme see:

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-tools says: "If you
are building Open MPI from a tarball, you need a C compiler, a C++
compiler, and make... You do not need any special version of the GNU
"Auto" tools (Autoconf, Automake, Libtool)."

So, that presumably means I *should* be okay.

For what it's worth, I can no longer find the places that led me to
believe that:

*) I needed the versions of the tools (m4, autoconf, automake) that I
picked up.
*) I did not need libtool since OMPI had its own, hacked up version.

but those were the assumptions I operated under.

>On Thursday, August 27, 2009, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>Don't you need a rehash in your script to make sure it picks up the newly-installed autotools?

Good point. I'm a dummy about these things. Assuming I know how to fix
what you're saying, I inserted a "rehash" in my script after "make
install", but still got the same problem. That is, the relevent part of
the script now says:

foreach PACKAGE ( m4-1.4.13 autoconf-2.63 automake-1.10.2 )
  bunzip2 $PACKAGE.tar.bz2
  tar xf $PACKAGE.tar
  pushd $PACKAGE
    ./configure --prefix=$INSTALLDIR
    make
    make install
  popd
  rehash
end

bunzip2 openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar.bz2
tar xf openmpi-1.4a1r20984.tar
pushd openmpi-1.4a1r20984
  ./autogen.sh

and the end of the log file still says:

*** Running GNU tools
[Running] libtoolize --automake --copy
[Running] aclocal
configure.in:2123: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
[Running] autoheader
[Running] autoconf
configure.in:2126: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.

It seems that the execution of "autoconf" has failed. See above for
the specific error message that caused it to abort.

Error running autogen.sh -l in romio. Aborting.