Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Heads up on new feature to 1.3.4
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-21 08:32:20

On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:

> Ah, I think I've misunderstood the website then. :-(
>
> It calls 1.3 stable and 1.2 old and I presumed old
> meant deprecated. :-(

To clarify...

1.3 *is* stable, meaning "ok for production use." We test all 1.3
releases before they go out, it undergoes regression testing, etc.

We have two different version series:

1. Odd minor numbers (e.g., 1.3.x): Feature release series. They're
stable and usable, but features may come and go during successive
releases. To be clear: feature release series does not mean "beta" or
"we haven't tested this much".

2. Even minor number (e.g., 1.4.x) : Super stable series. Only bug
fixes will be applied; no feature additions or subtractions will occur.

Both series have the same level of testing before they are released.
The difference is mainly a classification indicating whether new
features can be added / subtracted or not.