Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] New frameworks and contribs in the trunk
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-21 07:33:56

Hi Rich

On Aug 21, 2009, at 5:14 AM, Graham, Richard L. wrote:

> I have several questions here - since process migration is an open
> research question,
> and there is more than one way to address the issue -
> - Is this being implemented as a component, so that other approaches
> can be used ?

Absolutely - we have several organizations involved, all with
competing approaches

> - If so, what sort of component interface is being considered ?

Still being determined. One reason for exposing the frameworks at this
time is that much of the ongoing effort may occur in separate, hidden
tmp branches for proprietary reasons. The eventual source code for
those components may well never be committed, but the frameworks need
to be in the system so that MCA will pickup the binary modules.

I deliberately left the frameworks "inactive" so that changes in the
APIs can be done as the work progresses without impacting the OMPI
community. The participants need to develop a little further before we
fully understand what the APIs need to be - a little hard to openly
discuss them without exposing potentially proprietary algos. The hope
is that, as people develop their components, they can identify missing
needs in the API so at least that much can be safely communicated and
resolved.

> - What is the impact (or expected impact) on the rest of the system ?

For anyone who doesn't explicitly build it and turn it on, nothing.
For those who do, there will be no impact on MPI procs themselves as
they won't load nor activate these frameworks. There will be an
increased orted footprint and activity level, which could potentially
reduce performance by stealing cycles from MPI procs - obviously, that
depends on #procs vs cores and other factors.

I'm speaking solely of the RTE impact and issues here, of course -
Josh would have to address the MPI perspective.

HTH
Ralph