Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Heads up on new feature to 1.3.4
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 16:43:23

On Aug 17, 2009, at 3:23 PM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> >Yes, BUT... We had a similar option to this for a long, long time.
>
> Sorry, perhaps I should have spelled out what I meant by "mandatory".
> The system would not build (or run, depending on where it was set)
> without such a value being specified. There would be no default.

Gotcha. I have another "but", though. :-)

OMPI already has about a billion configurable parameters. If we
*force* people to do something more than "mpirun -np x
my_favorite_benchmark", then they'll say stuff like "we couldn't even
get Open MPI to run" (I've seen people say that about other MPI's --
fortunately, I haven't heard that about Open MPI except where either
OMPI legitimately had a bug or the user had something wrong in their
setup).

We work in a very nasty, competitive community. :-(