Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] libtool issue with crs/self
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-05 10:51:59

As an update on this thread. I had a bit of time this morning to look
into this.

I noticed that the "-fvisibility=hidden" option when passed to libltdl
will cause it to fail in its configure test for:
  "checking whether a program can dlopen itself"
This is because the symbol they are trying to look for with dlsym() is
not postfixed with:
   __attribute__ ((visibility("default")))
If I do that, then the test passes correctly.

I am not sure if this is a configure bug in Libtool or not. But what
it means is that even with the wrapper around the OPAL libltdl
routines, it is not useful to me since I need to open the executable
to examine it for the necessary symbols.

So I might try to go down the track of using dlopen/dlsym/dlclose
directly instead of through the libtool interfaces. However I just
wanted to mention that this is happening in case there are other
places in the codebase that ever want to look into the executable for
symbols, and find that lt_dlopen() fails in non-obvious ways.

-- Josh